The Explosion In Popularity Of Mobile Internet
The explosion in popularity of Mobile internet has been anticipated for a few years now, with each successive year being 'the year'. Well, it’s all happening now! The number of users connecting to the internet via mobile devices is rapidly increasing, and mobile search volume is predicted to exceed desktop PCs within 5 years or less.
Anyone looking to integrate Mobile into their marketing strategy will need to be aware that Google already dominates mobile search, boasting an estimated 98% share of all mobile searches. Google also reported that
"In the first three months of 2010, people with smartphones…searched 62 percent more than they did in the previous three months".
Having acquired mobile advertising platform AdMob in May 2010, Google has been able to adapt its successful Awords platform to allow advertisers to effectively reach these mobile searchers. Mobile search volume is accelerating quickly, and Google’s Adwords platform is the perfect way for businesses to take advantage of this rapidly growing channel…
…Mobile Search Marketing is going to be HUGE!
Here are 7 reasons why;
- The Audience is HUGE! There are an estimated 11 million Smartphone Users now in the UK alone. Right now! Uptake of Smartphone subscriptions increased by 70% in 2009, and shipment of new handsets is set to increase by a further 22% in 2010. To give you an idea, Apple sold 1.7 million iPhone 4 units within 3 days of launch, "the most successful product launch in Apple's history" according to Apple CEO Steve Jobs. And that’s just the iPhone 4. People are using the new tech too – the number of Users connecting to the internet via mobile devices world-wide is predicted to exceed desktop PCs within just 5 years. Mobile marketing will reach huge numbers of customers!
- 24/7 Reach – We carry our mobiles everywhere, day and night. In the UK, search volumes from mobile devices peak when desktop-based search traffic dips – typically during lunch hours and evenings when people are away from their PCs. For many online businesses, these hours of day are also peak conversion times. Mobile advertising lets you reach more customers at the moment they are ready to act!
- Although most standard HTML websites can be viewed on a smartphone, the text can be small and the buttons fiddly – obvious obstacles to conversions. It's relatively easy to adapt an existing website into a mobile-friendly format through offering an alternative way for your customers to buy, and thus increase sales for your business. Some business owners now report that up to 10% of their entire web traffic already comes from mobile devices. A mobile optimised website is cost effective, and can help to increase your online conversions!
- One in three mobile search queries have some kind of local intent – typically "where am I, what's around me, where can I…" themed queries. When combined with location targeting, Mobile Search ads let you reach people in your area who are close to buying. Ads with location extensions can even tell customers where to find your store, and how close you are. Mobile is going to be HUGE for local businesses!
- A variety of ad formats offer immediate ways for customers to connect with your business. Use 'Click to call' to let searchers speak to your business with a click of your ad. Link your ad to the iTunes store or Android Market to enable 'click to download app'. The new 'Offers' ad extension, currently in beta in the U.S., will allow a voucher code to be attached to ads for customers to redeem in their local store. Mobile marketing lets businesses open new doors to customers!
- Ads can be targeted to specific devices, allowing advertisers to reach iPhone, Android and other OS users separately. Even networks can be targeted separately. Mobile marketing will let you customise your ads to the users' device!
- Tracking has become increasingly reliable. The old generation of WAP enabled phones couldn’t support cookies, meaning website visits from mobiles couldn’t be tracked. Businesses had no way of knowing if investment in a mobile website and marketing activity would generate returns. Most smartphones today do support cookies though, meaning ROI for mobile advertisers can now be measured. The true effectiveness of mobile marketing can now be tested, measured and optimised for even better returns!
The opportunities in Mobile are going to be HUGE! If you haven’t included Mobile in your marketing mix yet, now's the time to act. See my next blog to find out how to quickly set up a targeted Mobile ad campaign using Adwords…
If you would like more insight into Mobile Pay-Per-Click then why not give us a call?
Tracey - Head Of Paid Search
If you wish to comment on this article please either login, or if you do not yet have an account then register here